Monday, July 8, 2013

"Magic or Madness" Book Review 7/7/13



Title: Magic or Madness
Author: Justine Larbalestier
Genre: Fantasy
Date Published: 2005
Star Rating: 2/5.

Heeeeeello. I haven't posted in a long while and I'm sorry about that. It took me a long time to get through this novel... way longer than it should have. Clocking in at 304 pages, this "fantasy" story should really be labelled as realistic fiction... because it pretty much is. Fifteen-year-old Reason Cansino is sent to live with her grandmother in Sydney after her mother is put in the psych ward. Reason has grown up thinking her grandmother, Esmeralda, is an evil witch. When she goes to stay with her, she finds some rather curious items in her grandmother's home that include: a cat carcass, a key, and a pile of black jackets (dare I add, the significance of the black jackets are never actually explained...). A "love interest" is introduced as well; Esmeralda's neighbor Tom. Now Tom is quite a catch. He's obsessed with fashion design, to the extent that he makes commentary on men's outfits while on outings. So back to that key that Reason comes upon. It unlocks a mysterious door, and when Reason goes through it she magically steps into New York City! 


Cool! Magic! That's what I'm talkin' about! Not so faaaaaast *cue singsongy voice*. The next hundred something pages are spent following Reason on her adventures to night clubs and fancy restaurants in Times Square. Justine Larbalestier must have been really hungry while writing this book because on almost every other page, she's just describing food in great detail. At least the woman can write in the sense that she's talented at description. But by the fourth depiction of kasha (European cereal/porridge) I was a little tired of hearing about it. There is seriously like one whole chapter dedicated to Tom ordering food at a diner. The waitress asks 5-6 questions (i.e. "what kind of soup you want?") and all I'm thinking is "this is a most unfortunate waste of paper". Finally, some mention of magic resurfaces when Reason must flee her grandfather who threatens to steal her magic away from her. During the 'final battle' legitimately nothing happens. Reason's grandmother and grandfather see each other, and they stare at each other for a good ten pages, and I heard a thousand violins and whatnot and then Reason somehow ends up back in Sydney. At this point, I wanted to put the book to better use as firewood. I want my time back that I spent reading this piece of junk. The only reason I gave it two stars instead of one is because the writing wasn't bad. However, the story was a joke. I wouldn't recommend this to anybody I like, to spare them from the never-ending food descriptions and nonsensical nightclub scenes. I can't spend another minute ranting about this book because it just frustrates me. WARNING: DO NOT READ= my review in a nutshell.

'Tis time to end yet another conflict! 

HAGS (Have a Great Summer for those who aren't aware... no I am not calling you a hag), be a Potterhead, sing like a Mockingjay, respect the nature, and above all... be your magickal self!
Blessed Be!
~The Black Rose Librarian aka Sam ^_^
Find me on GoodReads! @XBlackRose07

No comments:

Post a Comment