Thursday, July 18, 2013

DIY: Hawaiian Hula Girl Costume




Hey guys! Here is the first post of my new "Do it Yourself Series". Please check out my book reviews and academic help posts! Coming Soon: My One Direction Concert Experience Story 
Thank you so much for all the pageviews, I'm up to 312!
******************************************************
So I've been working as a C.I.T. (Counselor-in-Training) at a day camp for kids ages 3-5. I've done a total of five days so far, and I love it! The kids are so adorable and funny. The activities my group takes part in ranges from art to science to swimming and more! I made friends with the other C.I.T.'s in my group too. Tomorrow is Halloween in July Day at camp. Every Friday there is a different fun theme. For Halloween in July, my friends and I are dressing up as Hawaiian Hula girls. I decided to create a Hawaiian Hula girl costume tutorial, that's affordable and will make you the bomb-diggity at any Halloween rave. 

Hawaiian Hula Girl Costume DIY Tutorial

Materials: Bright-colored top, bright-colored skirt, flip flops, flower lei, tropical flower (preferably a fake one so it won't wilt on you), bobby pins, and a colorful ponytail holder.
Step 1: To make a Hawaiian flower clip, take your fake tropical flower and one bobby pin. Depending on your flower, you could either crazy glue it to the bobby pin or you could attach it somehow without glue. My flower had a plastic piece jutting out of the back so I hooked the closed end of the bobby pin around it, and it created a tight hold. Once you've created your flower clip, stick it on the side of your head toward the front. 

Step 2: For a hairstyle, put your hair into a side ponytail or a side braid. 
Step 3: For makeup, use pastel colors like pinks and greens to give a summery look. I went with some bold eye shadow and a light pink lip. Makeup doesn't matter TOO much for this costume, so don't worry too much about it. 
Step 4: To add some extra flair, you could wear a grass skirt over your regular skirt. You could also accessorize with a flowery bracelet, headband, and/or earrings. Holding a coconut with some punch in it and a straw sticking out would be pretty cool. Depends on how all-out you want to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment